The Operation Christmas Child website offers some great tips and suggestions on what to pack in each box. That said, it is important that you:
- Maximize space in your box (remove toys from the packaging).
- Refrain from giving toys that are “war-related” such as guns, knives or military figures.
- Avoid liquids or anything that can spill, burst, melt or break during shipping.
- Avoid anything that can be eaten or mistaken as food (play-dough, chocolate, candies, fruit rolls, silly putty, etc.).
- Purchase items with some “lasting power.” Most children will only get one Operation Christmas Child shoebox in their lifetime and it’s possible that the washcloths or soccer balls that you provide will not be replaced for a very long time.
If you choose to pack your own shoebox, the cost to ship is $9/box and the deadline to return it to church is Sunday, November 15.
The deadline to drop off your shoebox has passed.
Please consider building your shoebox online!
Yes! If it’s easier for you to pack your shoebox online we encourage you to do so. The Operation Christmas Child website makes is quick, easy and secure so we invite you to explore this option. The cost to build a shoebox online is $25/per box and you can absolutely customize it! (Or allow the folks at Samaritan’s Purse build it for you.)
To start, just visit the Worthington Christian Church ‘Build a Shoebox‘ page and click the green “Build a Shoebox Online Now” button. You will have the option to build the box yourself OR have the professions at Samaritan’s Purse build it for you.
If you choose to build the box yourself you will be able to pick the gender and age of the child you would like to pack a box for and choose the various gifts to include. At the end, you will be asked to pay for the items and the cost of shipping ($25).
The deadline to build a shoebox online is Saturday, December 26.